To maintain the health of your mouth, the American Dental Association recommends that you brush and floss your teeth every day. These habits are crucial for eliminating plaque and bacteria buildup from the surfaces of your teeth, helping to prevent cavities and gum disease. While brushing and flossing are important, they are only a part of maintaining optimal oral health. At Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry, we can help with professional cleanings.
Why Are Cleanings So Important?
While brushing and flossing helps to eliminate plaque and bacteria buildup from the surfaces of your teeth, there may be certain areas of your mouth that you may not be able to access very well, or at all. Even if you brush and floss every day, it is still possible to develop issues like cavities and gum disease. With professional cleanings, we can access the more difficult to reach places of your mouth. Additionally, we are also able to remove stubborn tartar, or calcified plaque, that cannot be removed with a toothbrush and floss. Professional cleanings are essential for keeping your whole mouth healthy, which can then help to keep your whole body healthy.
Getting Your Professional Cleaning
Professional cleaning is a straightforward procedure. We begin with a thorough cleaning of your teeth. We clean all areas of your teeth, including those hard to reach areas that you may not be able to reach with your toothbrush. We also clean along the gumline and just below it. We can effectively remove all buildup from your teeth, helping to prevent the development of tooth decay and gum disease.
After your teeth have been cleaned, we then polish them using a specialized dental polish. The polish contains abrasives that scrub your teeth at the head of the electric handpiece spins, removing surface stains and other debris, leaving your teeth with a beautiful shine.
The last step of your cleaning is flossing. We thoroughly floss between each of your teeth, including behind the very back teeth, removing any buildup that may be hiding there. Flossing also aids in removing any loose debris and dental polish that may have collected during the course of your cleaning.
Benefits of Professional Cleanings
Professional cleanings offer several benefits, including:
- Removing all buildup from your teeth, including tartar.
- The prevention of oral health issues like gum disease and cavities. The prevention of health issues such as respiratory issues, heart disease, diabetes, certain types of cancer, and more.
- A brighter smile. Cleaning and polishing your teeth aids in removing surface stains, which, in turn, helps to brighten and whiten your smile.
- Fresher breath. Cleanings remove bacteria and other debris that can cause bad breath. Removing this buildup aids in providing you with cleaner, fresher breath.
- Saving you money. By preventing oral health issues, we help to prevent the serious complications that can occur if the issues go untreated. This helps you to avoid the need for potentially invasive, and potentially expensive, dental treatments, saving you money.
Professional cleanings allow us to help you clean all surfaces of your teeth, including those that you may have a harder time reaching on your own, enabling you to prevent serious oral health issues from occurring. Call Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry to schedule your cleaning appointment today at Tulsa: (539) 302-3266 Claremore: (918) 343-4300.